What do you wish you knew when you joined the fediverse?

a common story seems to be people hearing about mastodon, joining mastodon.social, and then eventually moving to a more niche mastodon/pleroma instance.

there are some good explainers of how the fediverse works, for instance the official “What is Mastodon?” video. but these are often technical explanations – they don’t say anything about the communities you can find.

tools like fediverse.network, fediverse.space or fediverse.party aim to give an overview of what the fediverse is. what do you wish you knew when you first joined the fediverse? are there any features/ideas that would’ve made it smoother or more appealing for you?

When I first joined Twitter in 2008, they had recommendations on “who to follow”. It was mostly celebrities or people who used the site extensively. It was great because by following a few people, I gradually understood how Twitter worked. I think it would be great if there was something similar for the Fediverse, but with people on different instances and platforms.

If you had to recommend 10 accounts that Fediverse novices should follow, who would they be, and why should people follow them?

I guess the “who” should be a “what”, since personality inflation is exactly why corporate social media are not so interesting: people focus on personalities, not on information nor organization.