Internal Moderation Rules draft

Hi, y’all! This is the draft for our internal moderation. Please have a look over it and let us know what you like/don’t like/things you’d like to add. Thank you! :smile:

mod rules

• Your health and safety come first. Set your own limits and re-evaluate your time whenever you need. Do not hesitate to take breaks, ask for help, etc.

• The health and safety of our community is more important than being liked. Don’t worry about looking cool, do what you need to do.

• Be a helper. You’re here to enforce some rules, but you are also here to help your fellow members find their way and reach their goals.

• Never hesitate to ask for a second opinion from your fellow mods, especially in situations involving gender, race, or other sensitive issues. Address issues as soon as you see them, and document/screenshot any questionable situations.

• You are expected to uphold an environment of respect and empathy for all our members and be the representative of our Code of Conduct. Other members will look to you as an example.

• You are obligated to maintain the confidentiality of all reports, incidents, and users involved.

• This document is not set in stone, and can evolve over time, based on your feedback.

To Be Added

• specific mention of who to contact for what issues
  • detailed technical instructions to moderate each platform in a separate section

Come on people, don’t be shy :wink: Based on your own experience, what do you think of those rules? What’s missing?

Okay, I’ll try to translate this in french, even if it’s not yet finished (hoping it will attract more feedback):

Règles de modération

• Votre santé et votre bien-être sont des priorités. Définissez vos propres limites, et réévaluez le temps que vous attribuez dès que vous en ressentez le besoin. N’hésitez pas à prendre des pauses, demander de l’aide, etc.
  • La santé et le bien-être de notre communauté sont plus importants que le fait que vous soyez apprécié·e. Ne vous souciez pas de paraître cool, faites ce que vous avez à faire.
  • Aidez les gens. Vous êtes là pour garantir le respect de certaines règles, mais vous êtes aussi là pour aider vos camarades à trouver leur chemin et atteindre leurs objectifs.
  • N’hésitez pas à demander à une seconde opinion aux autres modérateur·ices, en particulier dans des situations concernant le genre, la race, ou tout autre point sensible. Traitez les problèmes dès que vous en avez connaissance, et documentez/prenez des captures d’écran de toute situation délicate.
  • On attend de vous que vous favorisiez un environnement basé sur le respect et l’empathie pour tou·te·s nos membres, et que vous soyiez garant·e·s du Code de Conduite. Les autres membres se tourneront vers vous pour que vous montriez l’exemple.
  • Vous avez l’obligation de maintenir la confidentialité de tous les rapports, incidents et personnes concernées.
  • Ce document n’est pas gravé dans la roche, et peut évoluer sur la durée, en se basant sur vos retours.

À ajouter

• Une mention spécifique de qui contacter pour quel type de problèmes
  • Des instructions techniques détaillées pour modérer chaque plateforme, dans une section séparée

I think these rules are a good starting point. I have some concerns, and the main one is about the workflow to follow when admins have to take actions (send a warning to an user, ban one or ignore the report).

The 4th rule address this a little but there’s no definied workflow, like : “Do I have, as an admin, the right to ban a user without any report being made about him ?” or “Where do I have to document the issues in the community ?”

I think we should define more how administration will work.

You’re right, @furryjulie that’s a missing bit. I think it’s hard to detail which CoC violation triggers which moderation response though (and it could be used to question moderation decisions). However, I suggest we make it mandatory for moderators to document their actions and the received reports, in an internal log that will be available to all moderators:

2019-04-18 Ginny: discarded report about YYYY, it's a troll
2019-04-18 Ginny: received a report about YYY
2019-03-16 Eliot: banned XXX because of repeated infractions (sexual jokes)
2019-03-14 Eliot: sent a warning to XXX because of sexual jokes in matrix room

This would help with auditability (who did what, why and when), and progressively build a kind of shared culture whithin the team of what kind of actions are taken in which situations, while requiring low maintainance and keep things open.

What do you think?

Yes, keeping a log of everything is important. While we can’t make a list of everything that would trigger a mod response, we can keep everything transparent as possible.

Also, what’s the best place to keep a log? There would be a need for a moderator room on matrix most likely?

For the log thing, I’d say a pad could be a good place to start? Maybe open source tools for this kind of logs exist to, but I’m not familiar with them.

And create a matrix room for mods only would be a good idea yes?

Otherwise, a private group on Loomio could be a good way to coordinate moderation work and keep a track of decisions. Since we will try it for other commites, maybe it would make sense to try it?

Discussion moved here: https://governance.funkwhale.audio/d/go27GQfn/internal-moderation-rules

closed #11