How to name sub-prismos?

We need to find a good name for prismo groups (like subreddits). There were few ideas (sorry if i forgot about any suggested on matrix room):

• groups
  • communities
  • forums
  • subs
  • rays

0 voters

I think i’m giving my vote to sub and group . If you have any ideas, don’t hasitate to share you thoughts on this.

Few words of wisdom from @joel_olbrich:matrix.org:

As another term for subreddit I suppose PrismoRays , since the projects name is prismo , or maybe even better; PrismoSubs , this time also including the syllable sub , to address ex-redditors.
The approach of Prismosubs in my opinion also fits smoothly into the URL- when calling sub (as the subreddit, prismosub) on the next level in the hirarchie – after prismo . Like

https://instance.org/prismo/sub/linux/ , or
https://prismo.instance.org/sub/linux

I personally also find that the wording sounds pretty nice, since you could kinda sub -scribe to a prismosub :–)

Source: https://write.as/fq951qrwcmr8w.md

I voted for subs because:

1. It’s a known terminology from reddit
  2. It’s a short word
  3. Identifies the purpose of the project

I don’t like groups but on gnusocial they already have groups with the ‘!’ in front of it ? maybe you should take that into account ?

I like the idea of rays though, it’s pretty and original.

I like subs, as stated earlier it’s a known term :slight_smile:

Also, what about “Shards”, to keep it consistent with the “Prismos” name? A shard is a piece of something and all the shards together build a prism? It’s meaning not be obvious for newcomers though.

Hi, my first post here, but since I have a strong opinion on this matter, I thought it’s worth submitting it.

I think the idea of groups/subs/sub-prismos is a bad one to implement in a federated context.

I think that the instance itself should represent the “group”, allowing communities to form around it and not against arbitrary user or admin created partitions.

To quote from a readme of a similar project of mine:

The main reason why aggregator networks lose their relevance is the ever increasing number of users, which more often than not, do not subscribe to the existing members’ interests and philosophies. As it grows, the topics start to wander over a large spectrum and people get flooded with irrelevant content. From the old members perspective it’s the “eternal September” effect.

This is why the main component which will be missing here is the concept of using the same instance for merging multiple interest groups. As it disappears, being replaced by the instance itself, every community will be able to create one of their own and enforce - or not - their moderation and preferences.

This, I believe, will ensure a tighter focus and more freedom for the members of the community.

At the same time, through the ActivityPub federation, the users can subscribe to other instances’ stream and will receive updates from them, allowing a user to access multiple spheres of interest.

Thank you for the input.

I kind of like the idea of one instance being a single-sub but, on the other hand, it would be great to be able to create a sub-communities without the urge of spinning up the instance (especially for non-technical users).

It was supposed to work like that at the very beggining of Prismo but after a lot of user requests, it turned out it would be a good idea to implement the subs.

Anyway - as a middle ground, i decided to be able to choose between a single-group instance or a multi-group instance on a setup stage.

I wasn’t implying that you should change your choice of course. :slight_smile:

As long as Prismo will be able to interact with other ActivityPub enabled services that will be single group, everything will be fine.

I can’t wait to get federation working on my thing so I can test it against other projects.

Ok i think i’ve made a crappy description in my previous post :slight_smile: What i meant is that you can choose if your instance is a single-grouped or multi-grouped in admin settings. So everyone is happy :slight_smile:

Oh i really like shards! It fits very well with the theme, sounds cool, the meaning is at least somewhat implied, and it has no weird connotations.