Error while running development front end server [solved]


#1

Hi,

I tried running a front-end server following this: https://docs.funkwhale.audio/contributing.html#a-quick-path-to-contribute-on-the-front-end

When I try to launch the development server with $ VUE_PORT=8000 yarn serve, the compilation starts but ends with the message Failed to compile with 2 Errors. The live log doesn’t show more details. When I try to reach localhost:8000 on my browser, I see an empty page, and the log on the terminal shows:

URIError: Failed to decode param '/%3C%=%20BASE_URL%20%%3Efavicon.png' at decodeURIComponent (<anonymous>) at decode_param (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:172:12) at Layer.match (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:123:27) at matchLayer (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:574:18) at next (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:220:15) at expressInit (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/middleware/init.js:40:5) at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5) at trim_prefix (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:317:13) at /home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:284:7 at Function.process_params (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:335:12) at next (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:275:10) at query (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/middleware/query.js:45:5) at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5) at trim_prefix (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:317:13) at /home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:284:7 at Function.process_params (/home/jovuit/CODING/funkwhale/front/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:335:12)

The HTML source code on localhost:8000 is:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang=“en”> <head>
<meta charset=“utf-8”>
<meta http-equiv=“X-UA-Compatible” content=“IE=edge”>
<meta name=“viewport” content=“width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0”>
<link rel=“icon” href="<%= BASE_URL %>favicon.png">
<title>Funkwhale</title>
</head>
<body>
<noscript> <strong>We’re sorry but Funkwhale doesn’t work properly without JavaScript enabled. Please enable it to continue.</strong> </noscript> <div id=“app”></div> <!-- built files will be auto injected -->
</body>
</html>

I greped favicon.png in front/, and commented the matched lines in front/public/index.html and front/public/index.html, and then restarted the server. I still get 2 compile errors, but when I try to reach localhost:8000, I still get an empty page, but the log messages in the console don’t appear anymore.

Therefore I’m wondering if the compile errors are still related to this BASE_URL problem, or if it is another problem…

I’m not sure how I should investigate… Did anyone encountered this problem already? How should I handle it?

Thanks in advance for your answers!


#2

Hi @jovuit, indeed, the base URL for the front-end changed in this version. This only affect development but I forgot to document this. If you visit http.//localhost:8000/front/, does it solve the issue?


#3

@jovuit I’ve pushed a fix for that on the develop branch (https://dev.funkwhale.audio/funkwhale/funkwhale/commit/0012182d8653dd7c3d72caf20c6048bfb2aaa11d), let me know if the issue persists :slight_smile:


#4

Hi @eliotberriot, thanks for your answer and for the fix. Unfortunately, it doesn’t solve the problem.

I pulled the new sources from the development branch, ran yarn install and VUE_PORT=8000 yarn serve, but when I go to localhost:8000/front, I can’t reach a page (Waiting for localhost...)

I also still get those 2 compile errors I mentioned.

If I go to localhost:8000, I get the same white page as before, and also the same BASE_URL in the favicon line.

Thanks again for your help!


#5

Allright, I found the culprit!

You need to compile translations first (yarn i18n-compile) to have the front-end run properly. This was not needed before but it changed recently and I’m going to update the documentation to reflect this :slight_smile:


#6

It works now, thanks a lot for your time!

(note: I had to install jq)